Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. A suicide bombing at an election rally in Pakistan’s southwest killed 128 people.
2. The Trump administration released a list of 10% tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods, making good on the president’s threats to escalate a broadening trade war with Beijing.
3. Official rivals just weeks ago, the leaders of Ethiopia and Eritrea embraced warmly to the roar of a crowd of thousands at a concert to celebrate the end of a long state of war.
4. Torrential rains across western Japan triggered floods and landslides that killed more than 200 people in Japan’s worst weather disaster in 36 years.
5. A tourist boat capsized off the coast of Thailand’s Phuket killing at least 44 people, making it Thailand’s worst tourist-related disaster in years and underscoring safety concerns about the industry.
6. The Israeli military lifted its restrictions along the Gaza border, indicating it had accepted an Egypt-mediated cease-fire that ended a 24-hour round of fighting with Hamas militants that had threatened to devolve into all-out war.
7. A suicide bomber in Afghanistan killed at least 12 people, including several children, in an attack in the eastern city of Jalalabad claimed by Islamic State militants.
8. A federal grand jury charged 12 Russian intelligence officers with hacking Democratic computer networks in 2016, in the most detailed U.S. accusation yet that Russia meddled in the presidential election to help Donald Trump.
9. Haitian Prime Minister Jack Guy Lafontant resigned amid calls for him to step down over his handling of a failed plan to raise fuel prices that set off a wave of deadly protests.
10. The United Nations Security Council imposed an arms embargo on South Sudan, nearly five years after civil war erupted in the country.
- 10 killed in attack in Jalalabad
- 7 killed, 15 wounded in suicide attack
- U.S. Secretary pushes peace talks on unannounced trip
- At least 12 dead, including children, in suicide blast
- Afghan forces kill at least 6 civilians in ground and air operations
- China raises tariff rates for some U.S. optical fiber products
- President Xi pledges $20 billion in loans to revive Middle East
- China lets Nobel widow leave for Berlin after house arrest
- Court sentences veteran rights activist to 13 years in prison
- Industrial park blast kills 19 hurt 12 in southwest China
- 11 suspected militants killed in Sinai shootout
- Passenger train derails near Giza, scores injured
- Courts sentence 31 to death for killings, prison escape
- Army helicopter crashes in Ivory Coast, one dead
- Young, joyful France beats Croatia to win 2nd World Cup
- France to meet NATO defense spending by 2024
- Woman who protested headscarf gets 20-year sentence
- Guards kill 3 militants near Iraq border
- Iran has no intention to leave Syria, according to top official
- Protests in southern Iraq to demand better services, jobs
- Two protesters killed in clashes with security forces
- Cease-fire holds after day of intense Israel-Hamas fighting
- Police question PM Netanyahu over alleged corruption
- Military fires missile at drone from Syria
- Court rules Reuters reporters can face full trial
- Landslide at jade mine kills at least 15, injures 45
- Police arrests government critic under sedition law
- Suicide bombing at election rally kills 128 people, candidate killed
- Former PM Sharif and daughter arrested on return to country
- Taliban claim bombing at rally that killed 21
- Hundreds of former ruling party members detained
- Gunmen kill fourth local official in a week
- President Duterte sees lowest rating since becoming president
- Korea suspends civilian drills to help talks with North
- President Moon presses Trump, Kim for breakthrough in nuclear talks
- Lawmakers extend President’s term until 2021
- U.N. Security Council imposes an arms embargo on South Sudan
- Airstrike on area held by ISIS in eastern Syria kills 54
- Government widens assault in southwest hits ISIS pocket
- 24 killed in train derailment after heavy rains
- Erdogan names Cabinet for presidency with new powers
- Erdogan names son-in-law as finance minister
- Attack helicopter deal with Pakistan worth around $1.5 billion
- President Trump tells PM May to sue the E.U., not negotiate
- PM fights to stop Cabinet exodus over Brexit
- Opposition Labour party takes poll lead amid Brexit crisis
- Police confirm source of Novichok poisoning
- Thousands of demonstrators mock Trump, protest his visit
United States of America
- U.S. to impose $200 billion in tariffs on Chinese products
- President Trump picks conservative Kavanaugh as Supreme Court nominee
- President Trump suggests China might be interfering in U.S.-North Korea talks
- U.S. accuses Russian spies of 2016 election hacking as summit loans
- E.U. official criticizes Trump over attitude toward allies
- President lashes out at Germany, demands allies double NATO spending
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’