Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. Former cricket star Imran Khan declared victory in Pakistan’s parliamentary election and vowed to battle corruption, seek regional cooperation, and forge a new relationship with the U.S. that was not “one-sided.”
2. The latest Ebola outbreak in Congo was declared over after 42 days without any new cases.
3. Islamic State militants killed more than 200 people in a coordinated assault on a government-held area of southwestern Syria.
4. A wildfire that raged through a coastal area of Greece killed at least 91 people.
5. Tens of thousands of demonstrators have rallied throughout Russia to protest plans to substantially hike the age at which Russians can receive their state retirement pensions.
6. Part of a newly built hydroelectric dam broke in southeastern Laos, flooding the surrounding countryside and killing at least 24 people.
7. Thousands of people staged protests across Poland after President Duda signed into law a measure effectively letting the government choose the next Supreme Court chief.
8. Sixteen senators quit Nigerian President Buhari’s ruling party in a blow to the leader who seeks re-election next year.
9. Thousands of Malians voted in the presidential election, but others struggled where some ballot boxes were burned and some feared threats by extremist groups.
10. The ruling party of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen won the election, while the opposition party unable to contest the polls said this marked the death of democracy.
- Premier says Tibet inseparable part of country’s ‘sacred’ territory
- Man explodes small bomb outside U.S. Embassy in Beijing
- Xi warns of no winner in Trump trade dispute
- President Sisi defends painful austerity measures
- Court sentences 75 people to death over 2013 sit-in
- U.S. lifts restrictions on $195 million in military aid for Egypt
- Security forces kill 13 suspected militants in shootout in Sinai
- PM sacks five local election officials on corruption charges
- PM suspends electricity minister amid unrest over poor services
- Soaring unemployment fuels protests in southern Iraq
- Authorities arrest Italian graffiti artists in West Bank
- Troops sent to West Bank after Israeli killed in attack
- Israel attacks Syrian launcher
- Tank fire kills 3 Hamas men in Gaza after soldiers attacked
- Israel shoots down Syrian jet; Syrian forces reach Golan
- Thousands vote in presidential election amid insecurity
- Militants fire mortars in northern Mali during presidential election
- Civilians die in ethnic clashes
- Airport hit by shelling days before election
- Bishops bloodied, churches besieged in crackdown
- President Ortega says early elections would create instability
- Return of possible remains marks 1st step in Korea diplomacy
- North Korea said to be dismantling key parts of launch site
- Fuel prices drop, suggesting U.N. sanctions being undermined
- Former cricket star Khan declares victory in elections
- Khan in coalition talks with small party, independents
- Jailed former PM Sharif hospitalized
- Suicide blast kills 31
- President signs law to accelerate changes in Supreme Court
- Thousands protest as president signs judicial appointment law
- Tens of thousands protest retirement age hikes
- Putin ready to invite Trump to Russia
- Russia to respond if Sweden, Finland drawn into NATO
- Over 600 migrants force entry into North African spanish enclave
- 52 tourists rescued as fire engulfs catamaran in northwest Spain
- ISIS kills 215 in southwest Syria attacks
- Hundreds of refugees return home from Lebanon
- Kurdish-led group prepared to work with Syrian government
- Syrians celebrate retaking town near Israel-occupied Golan
- Boat capsizes off coast, 6 dead
- U.S threatens sanctions unless Turkey releases American pastor
- Turkey approves security law after state of emergency lifted
- President Erdogan says new Israeli law fascist
United States of America
- Trump seeks to revive ‘Arab NATO’ to confront Iran
- China, Russia, and Iran conduct economic spying on U.S.
- U.S. airlines cave to China’s demand on referring to Taiwan
- Trump agrees with E.U to work to lower trade barriers
- U.S. calls on Russia to end Crimea occupation
- U.S. envoy Haley attacks Arab, Islamic states over Palestinian aid
- Former leader Mugabe emerges, rejects ruling party in election
- Top opposition won’t boycott vote despite worries
- Reports of voter intimidation, coercion ahead of elections
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’