What You Need To Know:
1. A man walked along a Toronto street firing a handgun into restaurants and cafes, shooting 14 people and killing two before dying after an exchange of gunfire with police.
2. Nicaraguan police and armed pro-government civilians violently retook a symbolically important neighborhood that had recently become a center of resistance to President Ortega’s government.
3. A suicide bomber carried out an attack near the Kabul airport, killing 14 people and narrowly missing Afghanistan’s vice president, who was returning home after living in Turkey for over a year.
4. Israel’s parliament approved a controversial piece of legislation that defines the country as the nation-state of the Jewish people but which critics warn sidelines minorities.
5. A suspected Russian airstrike hit a school serving as a shelter in southwestern Syria, killing at least 10 people.
6. British Prime Minister May accepted amendments to a customs bill put forward by Brexit hardliners who oppose her plan for a “common rule book” with the European Union after the country leaves the bloc.
7. French President Macron fired the head of his personal security detail but faced criticism for failing to act sooner, after video was released showing the man posing as a police officer and beating a protester while off duty in May.
8. A candidate from the party of Pakistan prime ministerial hopeful was killed in a suicide attack that wounded four others, days before general elections.
9. Standing next to Russia’s Putin, President Trump openly questioned his own intelligence agencies’ conclusions that Russia was to blame for meddling in the 2016 U.S. election to Trump’s benefit.
10. The European Union and Japan signed a landmark deal that will eliminate nearly all tariffs on products they trade. It covers a third of the global economy and markets of more than 600 million people.
- Suicide bombing in Kabul kills 14; VP unharmed
- Civilians killed in air strike
- ISIS suicide bomber kills 20 people in northern Afghanistan
- U.S. open to direct talks with Taliban
- Opposition says it has been ‘cut off’ in lead up to election
- China lends Cambodia $259 million to build new road
- PM reshuffles cabinet, seeks to reduce reliance on U.S.
- Man firing into Toronto cafe shoots 14 people, killing 2
- Hundreds protest over Hong Kong’s move to ban separatist political party
- Court sends former Hong Kong leader back to jail with reduced sentence
- U.S. lawmakers cut anti-ZTE measure from defense bill
- Lawmakers approve new leader’s Cabinet with old faces in place
- Cuba aims to build socialism, not communism, in draft constitution
- Egypt and Sudan seek to bolster ties after yearslong tension
- Egypt passes law that could shield top military brass from prosecution
- Around 25,000 people protest immigration stance of Merkel’s allies
- 9 injured in bus attack, suspect arrested
- Merkel vows to see out full term in office
- Opposition leader Gandhi startles bitter foe Modi with hug
- Parliament to debate no-trust motion against Modi’s government
- Buildings collapse in Delhi killing at least 3
- One protester killed at Badr militia branch
- Cleric Sadr backs protests, calls for delay in government formation
- Gays on strike over exclusion from surrogacy law
- Parliament passes contentious Jewish nation bill
- E.U. expresses concern over Jewish nation-state law
- Israel places new limitations on cargo crossing into Gaza
- Libya rejects E.U. plans for migrant centers on its territory
- Two migrants die on boat left adrift by coast guard
- 8 migrants found dead in lorry contained in western Libya
- Police and armed pro-government civilians violently retake symbolic city
- U.N. chief demands end to violence, hundreds protest Ortega
- North Korea takes swipe at South Korean President, urges return of restaurant workers
- Kim slams local North Koreans for unfinished power plant
- Hamas accepts cease-fire after massive Israeli Gaza strikes
- 4 Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in Gaza
- Putin and Trump discuss referendum for eastern Ukraine
- GDP growth slows to 1.1%
- Putin accuses U.S. forces of trying to ruin Trump summit outcome
- White House rejects Putin proposal to interview U.S. citizens
- Conservatives swing to the right with new leader
- Spain drops arrest warrant for former Catalan leader
- Constitutional Court blocks latest Catalan independence motion
- White Helmets evacuated to Jordan through Israel
- U.N. calls for safe passage for 140,000 trapped in southwest Syria
- At least 10 civilians killed by Russian airstrike
- Government, rebels clash over recon base near Israel
- PM May frustrated Northern Ireland lacks devolved government
- PM May narrowly avoids defeat in parliament on E.U. trade laws
- Millions face water restrictions amid hot, dry weather
- PM accepts key amendments from hardline Brexiteers
- Junior defense minister resigns, votes against government
- PM May wins parliament vote after bowing to Brexit pressure
United States of America
- President Trump heightens tariff threat in trade war with China
- Missouri duck boat accident kills 17 people
- U.S. to alert public to foreign efforts to undermine politics
- Trump invites Putin to Washington despite U.S. uproar over Helsinki summit
- Trump questions U.S. intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling
- Trump tells Iran ‘never, ever threaten’ U.S. or suffer consequences
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’