Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. Taliban insurgents launched separate attacks on Afghan security forces in the country’s north, killing at least 52 people.
2. India’s Supreme Court struck down a colonial-era law that made gay sex punishable by up to 10 years in prison, a landmark victory for gay rights.
3. The Trump administration to slap tariffs of up to 25% on an additional $200 billion in Chinese goods, escalating a confrontation between the world’s two biggest economies.
4. Syrian Prime Minister Khamis said that opposition-controlled Idlib province will soon be restored to Syrian state sovereignty, vowing to win any coming war.
5. Voters handed Sweden’s ruling party its worst-ever election result and delivered a parallel lift to a far-right party with white supremacist roots, leaving the ideological outline of the next government uncertain.
6. Iraqi protesters set fire to a provincial government building in the southern city of Basra, despite a curfew imposed by authorities to try and quell demonstrations against poor public services and unemployment.
7. Jair Bolsonaro, a leading Brazilian presidential candidate whose heated rhetoric has electrified some voters and angered others, was stabbed at a campaign event and suffered serious abdominal injuries.
8. The toll from an earthquake that rocked Japan’s northernmost main island of Hokkaido rose to 20 after an entire mountainside collapsed on homes.
9. Britain deepened its diplomatic feud with Moscow charging two men it says are Russian military intelligence officers with the nerve-agent poisoning of Sergei Skripal.
10. North Korea held a major military parade to celebrate its 70th anniversary, but in keeping with leader Kim Jong Un’s new policies, the emphasis was firmly on building up the economy, not on nuclear weapons.
- Twin attacks in Kabul kill 20, wound 70
- 8 police officers killed in insider attack
- At least 7 killed in blast near procession in Kabul
- U.S. Defense secretary makes surprise visit to war-weary Kabul
- U.S. service member dies in non-combat incident
- Taliban says founder of militant Haqqani network dies
- Taliban attack Afghan security forces in north, killing 52
- Candidate Bolsonaro stabbed, gets to hospital ‘almost dead’
- Federal police seek charges against President Temer
- Far-right presidential contender improving after stabbing
- President Macron’s popularity slumps to record low in poll
- More than 18,000 people march to seek urgent action on climate change
- France to spend 3.6B euros to renew military satellites
- 7 injured in Paris knife attack; terrorism not suspected
- France says Russia satellite spied on secure military communications
- Presidents name 2 new ministers in mini-reshuffle
- Man arrested after car-ramming at Lyon airport
- Merkel accuses far-right party of stoking ethnic tension
- Investigators says Chemnitz attack video genuine
- Pompeo, Mattis talk bolstering Indian ties despite tensions
- India decriminalizes homosexual acts in landmark verdict
- Opposition calls nationwide protests to take on Modi over fuel prices
- Bridge collapse kills 1, injures 19 in Kolkata
- Iran completes facility to build centrifuges
- Iran, Russia, Turkey presidents meet in high-stakes summit
- Iran drops bid to transfer millions out of Germany
- Protesters set fire to provincial government building, 3 protesters dead
- PM orders probe into bloody Basra protests
- Security forces deploy in Basra following violence
- 11 Kurds killed in attack
- Boko Haram overruns key crossroads town in northern Nigeria
- Many feared dead after Islamist attack in northeast Nigeria
- Kim vows nuclear-free Korea amid standoff
- U.S. charges North Korean hacker in Sony, WannaCry cyberattacks
- Flooding kills dozens, thousands left homeless
- North Korea stresses economy on 70th anniversary parade
- Kim Jong-un tells Chinese envoy North Korea is upholding U.S. nuclear deal
- PM ‘optimistic’ after brief talks with Pompeo
- Pakistan removes economist from key role following Islamist backlash
- Trump cuts $25 million in aid for East Jerusalem hospitals
- U.S. cuts will have dire effect on health care
- Senator defies Duterte’s arrest order in standoff
- Duterte voids amnesty of critical senator, orders his arrest
- Kosovo Albanians block roads during Serbia president visit
- Serbia, Kosovo talks end without breakthrough
- Judge convicts 10 troops for 2016 rampage
- 20 dead as plane crashes into lake
- President Bashir dissolves government, appoints new PM
- Ruling party hits election low as far-right grows
- Center-right leader calls on PM Lofven to step down
- PM Khamis says Idlib will ‘soon’ be under state control
- Rescuers say government bombing kills infant
- Bombings and air raids kill 4 in Idlib
- Clashes between Kurds and Syrian army troops leave 18 dead
- Russia, Turkey, Iran fail to agree on ceasefire for Idlib
- Syria says Israeli planes target military positions in Syria
- Uganda warns against interference as pressure mounts on U.S. to cut military support
- Police charges lawmaker with treason but lets him travel abroad
- U.K. charges 2 Russians in absentia in nerve agent attack
- U.K. says Putin is ultimately responsible for Novichok attack
- Ex-FM Johnson attacks government on taxes, rail
- Labour Party alters anti-semitism definition
- Major U.K. union backs calls for new Brexit definition
United States of America
- Trump poised to tax an additional $200B in Chinese imports
- U.S., India seal military communications pact, plan more exercises
- Russia says U.S. dropped phosporous bomb over Syria, which Pentagon denies
- Military announces plan to add troops in Germany
- Trump says has tariffs ready to further $267 billion worth of Chinese imports
- Foreign Minister denounces U.S. military interference after NYT report
- Venezuela to hike fuel prices by October
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’