Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. A super typhoon made landfall in China’s Guangdong, the country’s most populous province, after wreaking havoc in Hong Kong and Macau and killing potentially more than 50 people in the Philippines.
2. A suicide bomber detonated his explosives-filled vest among a group of people protesting a local police commander in eastern Afghanistan, killing at least 68 people.
3. Hungarian Prime Minister Orban suffered a rare political setback as E.U. lawmakers voted to pursue unprecedented action against his government for allegedly undermining the bloc’s democratic values and rule of law.
4. Thousands of Costa Ricans protested against a proposed fiscal reform, dealing their center-left president his first major test since taking office
5. The leaders of Russia and Turkey agreed to establish a demilitarized zone in Syria’s Idlib region, the last major stronghold of anti-government rebels where fears had been running high of a devastating offensive by government forces.
6. U.S. President Trump directed aides to proceed with tariffs on another $200 billion of Chinese goods, despite Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin’s attempts to restart trade talks with China.
7. A man drove an SUV deliberately into a crowd in central China before jumping out and attacking victims with a dagger, killing 11 people.
8. Pope Francis accepted the resignation of a U.S. bishop and authorized an investigation into allegations he sexually harassed adults.
9. Zimbabwe declared a cholera outbreak in Harare after 20 people died from the disease and more than 2,000 were infected by drinking contaminated water.
10. Brazil’s most popular politician, imprisoned former president Lula da Silva, ended his legal battle to run for the top office in next month’s election. His running mate, Fernando Haddad, will replace him.
- Lula to bow out of election; Running mate to run
- Police arrest former Parana governor Richa in corruption probe
- Presidential candidate Bolsonaro stable, mouth feeding stopped
- Far-right candidate Bolsonaro leads first-round vote
- China vows to respond if U.S. takes new steps on trade
- SUV crashes into crowd at square in central China killing 11, 44 in hospital
- Officials say China is educating, not mistreating Muslims
- China says it should target goods needed by U.S.
- Egypt says e.coli caused to death of 2 British tourists
- France presses ally Egypt to suspend mass death sentences
- Egypt says it fights fake news, critics see new crackdown
- Ethiopia, Eritrean leaders officially open their border
- Leaders of Ethiopia, Eritrea sign accord in Saudi Arabia
- Macron admits system of torture during Algeria war
- Macron’s party neck and neck with far-right in 2019 E.U. election poll
- Death toll from summer forest fire near Athens rises to 99
- Landslide at Greek ‘shipwreck’ beach injures 7
- Guatemalans protest against pressure on anti-corruption body
- Guatemalans step up protests of president’s attacks on anti-graft body
- Court backs U.N. anti-graft chief against president
- Iran relocates consulate in Basra following unrest
- Iran looks to China for help as U.S. sanctions resume
- Israel removes protest shacks near embattled West Bank site
- Netanyahu spokesman goes on leave, vows to clear name after accusations
- Israeli troops kill 3 Palestinians in Gaza border clashes
- Israel to approve immigration for 1,000 Ethiopian Jews
- Death toll from earthquake hits 44
- Japan, U.S. ballistic missile defense system test was successful
- Opposition leader says its PM is too close to Trump
- Abe aims to rewrite constitution as he seeks 3rd term
- Over 100 migrants die in boat wreck off Libya
- Gunmen attack HQ of state oil firm, two staff killed
- U.S. targets Libyan militia leader with sanctions
- Officials say missiles hit Tripoli airport
- Authorities close Tripoli’s only airport over safety
- Leader Suu Kyi won’t attend U.N. general assembly
- Suu Kyi says handling of Rohingya could have been better
- Palestinians file war crimes claim over West Bank hamlet
- Palestinian stabs American-Israeli man to death in West Bank
- Soccer fans, evangelicals clash at stadium over land dispute
- President faces standoff with congress over referendum
- Philippines braces for most powerful typhoon this year
- Dozens buried in landslides
- Typhoon Mangkhut kills at least 69 people
- Russia starts biggest war games since Soviet fall near China
- Putin says suspects in Britain poisoning are innocent civilians
- Putin suggests long-awaited peace treaty to Japan
- Anti-Kremlin Pussy Riot activist seriously ill in hospital, may have been poisoned
- Moon calls for ‘bold decisions’ ahead of Kim summit
- Korea’s open 1st liason office for better communication
- Moon wants ‘heart to heart’ summit talks with Kim
- Catalan separatists pack Barcelona to demand split from Spain
- Minister resigns over academic degree
- Parliament votes to exhume remains of dicator Franco
- Spain to go ahead with sale of 400 bombs to Saudi Arabia
- More than 30,000 displaced in Idlib offensive
- U.S.-backed group in last push to defeat IS in northeast Syria
- Demilitarized zone for Syria’s Idlib to be created
- U.S. backed forces storm IS-held village in east Syria
- Turkey boosts arms to Syrian rebels as Idlib attack looms
- Intellifence seizes bombing suspect inside Syria
- Turkey to freeze new government projects
- E.U. tells Britain it won’t renogatitate Brexit divorce bill
- Britain and E.U. closing in on a Brexit agreement
United States of America
- Trump administration takes aim at ICC, PLO
- Trump visit to Ireland postponed
- U.S. warns Moscow over looming attack in Syrian city of Idlib
- U.S. approves possible miltiary sales worth $2.6 billion to South Korea
- Trump disputes Puerto Rico storm death toll, draws outcry
- U.S. imposes North Korea-related sanctions on Russian, Chinese tech firms
- Trump wants tariffs on about $200 billion more in Chinese products despite talks
- Storm Florence drenching rains kill 23 in the Carolinas
- Maduro travels to China in search of fresh funds
- OAS chief threatens military force against Venezuela
- Saudi-led coalition resumes air strikes to Hodeidah
- Saudi-led coalition seizes main road linking Hodeidah to Sanaa
- Opposition leader plans ‘inauguration’
- Zimbabwe declares cholera emergency in capital after death toll rises to 20
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’