Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by ema
What You Need To Know:
1. After months of talks, negotiators from Britain and the European Union struck a proposed divorce deal to provide for the U.K.’s exit from the bloc. Two U.K. Cabinet ministers quit, and more than 20 lawmakers have submitted letters of no confidence.
2. U.S. intelligence officials have concluded that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi — a claim the Saudi government has denied.
3. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un inspected the testing of a newly developed tactical weapon, calling it “another display of our rapidly-growing defense capabilities to the whole region.”
4. Eight U.N. peacekeepers and at least 12 Congolese soldiers were killed in a joint military operation against rebels in Congo’s northeast, which is facing a deadly Ebola outbreak.
5. At least 77 people were killed in California wildfires, over 1,000 still missing.
6. Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu said he would take on the role of defense minister, rejecting calls to dissolve his government even as early elections appeared increasingly likely.
7. Major assaults by Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan’s western province of Farah bordering Iran have killed at least 30 Afghan security forces
8. Nearly 300,000 protesters paralyzed traffic at more than 2,000 strategic sites around France in a bid to force the government to lower taxes on diesel fuel and gasoline.
9. Plans to begin repatriating Rohingya Muslims to Myanmar were scrapped after officials were unable to find anyone who wanted to return to the country.
10. More than 40 people were killed and dozens wounded in Central African Republic in an attack on a Catholic mission sheltering 20,000 refugees.
- Taliban hold talks with U.S. envoy in Qatar
- Taliban target police checkpoint, killing 5
- Taliban attack in western Afghanistan, kill at least 30 security forces
- Suicide bomber in Kabul targets anti-Taliban rally, kills 4
- Bangladesh scraps Rohingya return, says no one wants to go
- Police break up opposition protest as election nears
Central African Republic
- Pacific summit ends with no communique as China, U.S. differ
- China sends written response to U.S. trade reform demands
- 12 Congolese soldiers killed in clashes in Ebola-hit east
- 7 U.N. peacekeepers killed in fight against rebels
- Thousands rally against PM Babis on velvet revolution anniversary
- Opposition pushes for no-confidence vote over PM investigation
- Bikers hurl grenade at religious gathering, three killed
- Cyclone makes landfall in south India, kills 11 people
- President meets Saudi King after visiting rival Iran
- Cleric linked to Basra protest killed outside home
- Iraq resumes Kirkuk oil exports after yearlong pause
- Gunmen kill 9 in Anbar province
- Netanyahu main coalition partner pushes for early election
- U.S. to oppose U.N. Golan resolution, wins Israeli praise
- Days after cease-fire, Gaza border demonstrations to resume
- Netanyahu faces snap election calls after defense minister quits
- Jewish religious candidate elected Jerusalem’s mayor
- Netanyahu takes on defense post amid calls for early polls
- Government doesn’t budge in clash with E.U. over budget deficit
- IMF warns Italy’s spending plan makes country vulnerable
- Italy brings together Libya rivals, Turks protest exclusion
- Rescued migrants refuse to leave ship taking them to Libya
- Wife of former PM Najib charged with two counts of graft
- Goldman Sachs bankers cheated Malaysia over 1MDB
- Pence says Myanmar’s handling of Rohingya ‘without excuse’
- U.N. rights chief urges halt to Rohingya repatriation plan
- North Korea to deport American it detained for illegal entry
- North Korea tests new tactical weapon
- U.S. analysts locate secrete North Korean missile sites
- Former home affairs minister resigns from parliament
- Home affairs minister Gigaba resigns
- President Ramaphosa to repay campaign donation
- President rejects no-confidence vote on disputed PM
- Lawmakers fight in parliament over PM dispute
- Parliament rejects President’s chosen PM
- Top court suspends decree dissolving parliament
- President calls third vote of no-confidence against PM
- U.S.-led strikes kill 40 in militant pocket
- Bus explosion in Homs injures 6
- Army advances against ISIS in southeastern desert
- Court sentences journalist to 19 years in jail over Gulen links
- 4 migrants killed, 6 missing after boat sinks
- Air strikes kill 19 Kurdish militants in northern Iraq
United States of America
- Pentagon to cut troops in Africa as focus shifts to China, Russia
- U.S. hardens border at Tijuana to prepare for migrant caravan
- At least 77 dead as searchers in California wildfires step up efforts
- Houthis halt missile attacks on Saudi coalition
- Parties in Yemen agree to meet in Sweden
- Saudi-led coalition renews air strikes on Hodeidah