Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson and Brexit Secretary David Davis resigned adding to divisions over Brexit that threaten to tear apart Prime Minister May’s government.
2. At least 100 people killed in torrential rains and landslides in western Japan.
3. The United States and China slapped tit-for-tat duties on $34 billion worth of each other’s imports, triggering the “largest-scale trade war.”
4. The parties in Germany’s ruling coalition reached an agreement on a package of measures to deal with asylum-seekers who have already registered in other E.U. states.
5. Turkey dismissed more than 18,000 civil servants, ahead of this month’s expected lifting of a two-year-old state of emergency imposed after an attempted coup.
6. Eight children trapped for over two weeks in a flooded cave in northern Thailand have been rescued; Four boys and their coach remain in the cave.
7. Anti-government protests broke out in Polish cities in defense of the country’s constitution, judicial independence and the rule of law.
8. Former Malaysian PM Najib was charged with criminal breach of trust and corruption, two months after a multibillion-dollar corruption scandal at a state investment fund led to his stunning election defeat.
9. At least six soldiers in Tunisia’s national guard were killed in an apparent attack by an armed group near the Algerian border.
10. A Pakistani anti-corruption tribunal sentenced former PM Sharif to 10 years in prison over purchases of luxury apartments in London.
- 33 dead in boat sinking off Thai island, 23 missing
- China implements retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods
- Ethiopia and Eritrea to re-open embassies in each other’s capitals
- Violence in southern Ethiopia forces more than 800,000 to flee
- Coalition reaches deal on migration, no transit centers
- IMF cuts 2018 economic growth forecast to 2.2%
- Iranian teen detained over Instagram dance videos
- Iran threatens to cut cooperation with nuclear body after Trump move
- Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- Law freezes funds for Palestinian attackers’ families
- Troops kill Gazan who breached border to torch sniper post
- Authorities execute leader, 6 followers, of sarin attack doomsday cult
- Death toll climbs to 88 people as heavy rains hammer southern Japan
- Prime Minister Abe to cancel Iran trip over U.S. pressure on Tehran
- Emperor resumes official duties after suffering nausea
- Armed group kidnaps three Filipinos and one Korean
- Lawmakers visit contested Jerusalem holy site
- Two workers killed in second attack on water plant
- 24 die in Tultepec fireworks blast
- Incoming President Obrador to seek negotiated peace in drug war
- Incoming President aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- President-elect pledges to reach understanding with Trump
- Court sentences former PM Sharif to 10 years in prison
- Authorities arrest son-in-law of ousted premier Sharif
- Record rains turn city’s road into rivers; 6 dead
- Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- Palestinians to keep paying prisoner stipend despite Israel penalty
- President Duterte will not seek second term under new constitution
- Bike-riding gunmen kill mayor in second murder in two days
- City mayor gunned down during flag-raising event
- Air force jet crashes in field, killing pilot
- Top court judges criticize pro-government principal
- Massive protests in Poland against government judicial overhaul
- President announces retirement of Supreme Court chief
- E.U. moves against Poland for its new court law
- Fighter jet crashes during airshow, kills pilot
- Lawmaker panel partially decriminalized abuse of office
- Syrian troops recapture vital border crossing with Jordan
- Pro-Assad forces to leave rebel towns in deal brokered by Russia
- Air defenses hit Israeli plane, thwart missile strike
- Airstrikes resume in southwest Syria after talks fail
- Son of ISIS leader killed in Homs
- Navy seal dies as schoolboys trapped in cave
- 8 children rescued from cave in risky operation; 5 remain inside
- At least 41 dead as boat sinks off southern Thai resort island
- Train derailment kills at least 10, injures 73 people
- Authorities sack more than 18,000 personnel ahead of expected lifting of emergency rule
- Erdogan assumes new presidential powers tightening control over Turkey
- Journalists sentenced for links to U.S.-based cleric
United Arab Emirates
- Most senior Brexit official quits government
- Foreign Secretary Johnson quits government in Brexit crisis
- U.K. leaders endorse Brexit trade plan
- Police open murder investigation as 1 of 2 nerve agent victim dies
- Officials accuse Russia of dumping poison in Britain
United States of America
- U.S. triggers China tariffs, fuels fears of escalating trade war
- U.S. warships pass through Taiwan Strait amid China tensions
- President Trump pressed aides on Venezuela invasion
- Over 40 countries object at WTO to U.S. car tariff plan
- Arrests seven ‘terrorists’ over bombing of police station
- Authorities jail former central bank official amid graft crackdown
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’