What You Need To Know:
1. North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said he will suspend nuclear and missile tests, scrap its nuclear test site, and instead pursue economic growth and peace, ahead of planned summits with South Korea and the United States.
2. An ISIS suicide bomber attacked a voter registration center in Afghanistan’s capital on Sunday, killing 57 people and wounding more than 100 others.
3. Raul Castro retired as Cuban President at the age of 86. Miguel Mario Diaz-Canel Bermudez was selected to replace him.
4. Nicaragua‘s President Ortega canceled plans to overhaul the social security system after massive protests turned deadly.
5. Paraguay‘s ruling party candidate, Mario Abdo, was elected President pointing to another five years of pro-business policies.
6. 20 people were killed in an air strike by the Saudi-led military coalition in southwestern Yemen.
7. Israeli troops killed more Palestinians on the Gaza-Israel border, bringing to 35 the death toll in recent weeks among Palestinian protesters demanding the right to return to their former homeland.
8. Armenia’s former president shifted into the prime minister’s seat as about 40,000 protesters rallied in the capital to oppose the move. Police detained 3 opposition leaders and nearly 200 protesters.
9. China conducted live-fire military exercises in the Taiwan Strait increasing tensions in the region.
10. Tens of thousands of Hungarians protested against government control over the media, which they say helped Prime Minister Orban to a landslide election victory earlier this month.
- Former President elected Prime Minister amid large-scale protests
- Police detain opposition leaders and nearly 200 protesters
- 2 boats capsize in river, 17 killed
- First quarter growth beats expectations at 6.8%
- China conducts live-fire military exercises in the Taiwan Strait
- Taiwan calls Chinese military drills a threat to region
- Couple kidnapped by dissident rebel group
- Government to halt ELN peace talks support as long as rebels keep up attacks
- President Macron urges E.U. to shun nationalism
- Macron urges President Trump to stick with Iran nuclear deal
- France launches process to revoke Assad’s Legion of Honor
- Thousands protest against Prime Minister Orban’s media control
- Soros foundation to quit Hungary amid political hostility
- Cabinet approves death penalty for child rapists
- Prime Minister Modi confronted by angry protests in London
- President bans government bodies from using foreign message apps
- Iran switches from dollar to euro for official reporting currency
- 3 Iranian security personnel killed at Pakistan border
- Berlusconi criticizes 5-Star Movement, urges government deal with left
- 5-Star Movement sets ultimatum to League amid government gridlock
- #MeToo movement hits Japan as top finance official quits over harassment claims
- Governor of Niigata resigns to avoid turmoil over magazine article
- President sacks cabinet after it loses no-confidence vote
- Parliament names Abylgaziyev as new Prime Minister
- Coastguards recover bodies of 11 migrants
- Rockets hit airports as U.N., French officials visit to talk peace
- Eastern Libyan military chief of staff survives car bomb attack
- President Ortega cancels social security overhaul amid deadly protests
- Journalist killed during Facebook Live report
- At least 3 dead, including a police officer, in protests against proposed social security reform
- Police officer killed by armed gang, german abducted
- Authorities fire 4,500 teachers for incompetence
- Intruders storm parliament and steal ceremonial mace
- Police fire teargas at Shiite Muslim protesters in Abuja
- Israel destroys ‘longest and deepest’ Gaza tunnel
- Israeli troops kill 2 Palestinians in Gaza protests
- Israeli troops kill 4 more Palestinians in Gaza border protests
- Russia kills 9 militants plotting attack in Dagestan
- U.S. and Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack
- Saudi security shoots down recreational drone near royal palace
- 4 security forces killed by gunmen in southwestern province
- Rebels withdraw from enclave northeast of Damascus
- Iraqi air strikes kill 36 ISIS militants
- U.S. claims Russia and Syria trying to sanitize chemical attack site
- U.N. team fired upon while visiting suspected chemical sites
- France announces 60 million dollars in humanitarian aid for Syria
- President Erdogan calls surprise early election in bid to increase his powers
- Parliament strips two pro-Kurdish lawmakers of status
- Parliament approves extension of state of emergency
- Authorities to dismiss 3,000 people in military over alleged links to Gulen
United States of America
- 7 inmates killed in prison riot in South Carolina
- U.S. officials say Pompeo has met with North Korea’s Kim Jong-un
- Gunman kills 4 people in Nashville Waffle House
- Two police officers killed at restaurant in Florida
- President Trump delays new sanctions on Russia
- Red Cross employee killed in a shooting in Taiz
- 20 people killed in Saudi-led airstrike in Southwestern Yemen
- Nephew of former President leads clashes against Houthi forces
- 2 al Qaeda militants killed in southern province of Abyan
Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to the newsletter to receive it directly by email.
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’