Here’s What You Need To Know:
1. Suspected poison gas attack killed at least 40 people in the eastern suburbs of Damascus, Syria.
2. Hungary‘s right-wing Prime Minister Orban easily won a new term as his political party received a super-majority.
3. Brazil‘s top court narrowly ruled against former President Lula. He faces a 12-year jail sentence for corruption.
4. Israeli troops killed dozens of Palestinian protesters along the Israel-Gaza border.
5. French and Malian troops killed 30 Islamist insurgents near the border with Niger.
6. Saudi-led airstrikes killed 12 civilians in the coastal city of Hodeidah in Yemen.
7. U.S. President Trump proposed $100 billion in additional tariffs on China “in light of China’s unfair retaliation” against earlier U.S. tariff actions.
8. Christian militias stormed a U.N. base in the Central African Republic killing one peacekeeper.
9. Former South Korean President Park received a 24-year prison term for corruption.
10. Opposition candidate and former military junta leader Julius Maada Bio was sworn in as Sierra Leone’s new president.
- Top court rules against former President Lula, must go to jail
- Former President Lula surrenders to police after defying order
- Finance minister quits, eyeing elections
- President names pro-privatization Moreira as new mines and energy minister
- Former opposition leader calls for election boycott
- Japan signs loan agreement with Cambodia totaling over $90 million
Central African Republic
- Christian militias attack U.N. base, killing 22 people including one peacekeeper
- 1 killed, dozens wounded in clashes between peacekeepers, civilians, and militia fighters
- Strikes cause railway chaos and challenge President Macron
- Alps avalanche kills mountain medic
- Saudi Crown Prince visits France, seeks strategic partner
- Prime Minister Orban wins re-election, gets super majority
- Socialist leaders resign after election defeat
- Right-wing party leader tenders resignation after election defeat
- City declares state of emergency after oil spill, 4 dead
- Soldier and two separatist rebels killed in clashes near Freeport mine
- 4 detained in Aceh for alleged gay sex, faces 100 lashes
- Defense minister vows tough response to Gaza protests
- PM Netanyahu backtracks on deal to resettle African migrants
- Authorities intercept boat carrying Rohingya refugees
- Parliament approves law banning fake news ahead of elections
- Prime Minister dissolves Parliament, calls for elections in May
- French and Malian troops kill 30 insurgents in gun battle
- Army kills 14 jihadist suspects in ‘attempted escape’
- U.N. sanctions North Korean ship for fuel transfer at sea
- North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- Christian family shot dead in southwestern Pakistan
- Prime Minister Abbasi in Afghanistan to ease tensions
- Pakistanis hold rallies to show solidarity with Kashmiris
- At least 27 killed by Israeli fire in Gaza protests
- Journalist killed by Israeli sniper in Gaza protests
- Moscow mall fire kills 1, days after Siberian mall fire
- Russia threatens sanctions over Latvian language in schools
- Soldier killed during raid against suspected militants in Qatif province
- Saudi cinema screens re-open on April 18
- 6 workers killed in bus attack en route to platinum mine
- Former President Zuma charged with corruption
- Suspected poison gas kills at least 40 people in Damascus suburb
- Air strikes on Douma kill 27 people
- Government launches assault on last rebel enclave in Ghouta
- Missile strikes Syrian army base, U.S. accused
- 108 Kurdish militants ‘neutralized’ in past week
- Court jails 9 students opposed to Afrin offensive
- 4 people killed in a shooting at university near Ankara
- Authorities to deport nearly 600 Afghan migrants
United States of America
- U.S. announces tariffs on $50 billion on Chinese imports
- Woman wounds 3 at Youtube HQ in California, then kills herself
- President Trump to send the military to Mexican border
- Trump proposes $100 billion more in tariffs on China
- U.S. imposes sanctions on prominent Russian businessman
- U.S. raises prospect of Trump-Putin meeting at the White House
- Aide to opposition candidate attacked, suffers severe head injury
- Venezuela cuts commercial ties with Panama officials
Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to the newsletter to receive it directly by email.
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’