Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for Daily Briefings.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. Israeli forces killed 58 Palestinians and injured more than 2,700 people during mass protests along the Gaza border, as the U.S. opened their embassy in Jerusalem.
2. Venezuela’s leftist leader Nicolas Maduro won a new six-year term, but his main rivals disavowed the election alleging massive irregularities and extremely low turnout.
3. A political bloc led by populist Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, a long-time adversary of the United States who also opposes Iranian influence in Iraq, won Iraq‘s parliamentary election.
4. A 17-year-old carrying a shotgun and a revolver opened fire at a Texas high school killing 10 people, most of them students.
5. At least 15 people were killed and six were raped during a referendum campaign in Burundi that could let President Pierre Nkurunziza hold power until 2034.
6. North Korea threatened to scrap a summit next month between its leader, Kim Jong Un, and U.S. President Trump, saying it has no interest in a “one-sided” affair meant to pressure the North to abandon its nuclear weapons.
7. A 39-year-old airliner with 110 people aboard crashed and burned just after taking off from the Havana airport, in Cuba’s worst aviation disaster in three decades.
8. The anti-establishment 5-Star Movement and far-right League published their joint government program, promising a major spending spree that will likely put Italy on a collision course with the European Union.
9. At least 8 people were killed and dozens more wounded by multiple explosions at a cricket match in the eastern city of Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
10. At least 19 dead, 39 infected in the Democratic Republic of Congo‘s latest Ebola outbreak, where authorities will begin administering an experimental Ebola vaccine.
- Blast at cricket stadium kills at least 8 officials
- Several killed in suicide bombing north of Baghdad
- Taliban launch large-scale assault on western Afghan city, killing at least 6 security forces
- Flash floods kill at least 34 people
- Prosecutors charge 11 people with trying to step up Islamic State cell
- Election poll shows right-winger Bolsonaro holds lead
- Boat adrift with at least 27 African migrants rescued off coast
- At least 15 killed during referendum campaign
- Burundians vote in referendum that could let President hold power to 2034
- Air Force lands bombers on South China Sea island
- China to offer $200 billion U.S. trade deficit reduction package
- Taiwan’s former President gets 4-month jail term over information leak
- Candidate Petro says voting software tampered with, government denies
- Right-wing Duque keeps lead in survey head of Colombia elections
- President Sisi orders Gaza border open for Ramadan
- Military kills 19, arrests 20 in Sinai operation
- President Sisi pardons over 330 mostly youth prisoners
- Police arrests activist on charges of insulting President
- 4 workers killed by landmine near new capital
- President Macron tells Netanyahu Palestinians have right to protest peacefully
- Macron’s party seen outperforming rivals in 2019 E.U. elections
- 2 killed in shooting in southwestern Germany
- Chancellor Merkel says European ties with U.S. set back over Iran
- PM Modi faces revived opposition after setback in southern state
- Highway overpass collapses killing 18 people
- Ruling party asks to form government in southern state despite lack of majority
- At least 15 missing after boat capsizes in southern India
- 7 dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Varanasi
- Iran can resume 20% enrichment if E.U. fails to retain nuclear deal
- At least one killed in protests
- French company Total to pull out of gas deal without sanctions waiver
- Nationalist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr’s block wins election
- Al-Sadr says next government will be ‘inclusive’
- Hundreds protest in Kirkuk over alleged voting fraud
- Israel vilified at U.N. body for Gaza killings, but backed by U.S.
- Guatemala opens embassy in Jerusalem, two days after U.S. move
- Government plans retaliatory tariffs against the U.S.
- First quarter GDP growth seen slowing sharply in setback for PM Abe
- Candidate Obrador’s lead grows head of presidential vote
- Foreign Minister rejects Trump’s comments that some immigrants are ‘animals’
- Independent presidential candidate Zavala quits
- U.S. demands North Korea to ship some nuclear warheads, ICBM abroad within 6 months
- Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- Chief negotiator refuses to hold talks with South Korea unless differences settled
- North Korea threatens to cancel Trump-Kim summit over drills
- 4 civilians killed in Indian shelling, including 3 children
- Military kills senior member of Islamist militant group in Baluchistan
- U.S. diplomat involved in fatal accident allowed to leave Pakistan
- At least 58 killed in Gaza protests as Israel celebrates U.S. Embassy move
- President Abbas hospitalized with pneumonia
- Man publicly sets himself on fire in Gaza
- U.N. council mulls calling for Palestinian protection force
- Hamas claims most slain protesters were Hamas members
- Palestinians recall envoys in Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Austria
- President Duterte orders lifting of labor deployment ban to Kuwait
- Philippines expresses serious concern over Chinese bombers in South China Sea
- Police kill 4 gunmen who raided Orthodox church in Chechnya
- President Putin approves new Cabinet that sees key figures remain
- Russia-Germany gas pipeline raises intelligence concerns
- Village evacuated after ammunition depot fire
- Putin opens bridge linking southern Russia with Crimea
- Opposition leader Navalny gets 30-day jail sentence
- Authorities arrest 7 for suspected links with foreign entities, including 5 women right’s activists
- Authorities release 1,000 Ethiopian prisoners
- Saudi forces intercept missile fired by Yemen’s Houthis
- Air defenses destroy ballistic missile fired from Yemen
- President Kiska says E.U. countries ignoring Russian interference
- President Kiska will not seek re-election next year
- U.S. to withdraw assistance from northwest Syria
- Military seizes key swaths of land in country’s center
- Syrian government forces seize last rebel enclave in Homs
- Authorities issues detention warrants for 101 soldiers
- Bodies of 7 Afghan refugees found off Turkish coast
- Turkey tells Israeli ambassador to leave over Gaza killings
- Authorities detain 54 suspected ISIS members
- President Poroshenko enacts new sanctions against Russia
- Authorities raid Russian media outlets, arrests journalists
United Arab Emirates
- PM May agrees with France, Germany on upholding Iran nuclear deal
- PM May defeats Labour bid to force her hand on customs
- Scotland’s Sturgeon warns of ‘catastrophic’ no deal Brexit
United States of America
- U.S. and China put trade war on hold after progress in talks
- U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah
- U.S. imposes sanctions against Iran central bank governor
- 10 students killed in Texas school shooting
- President Maduro re-elected amid extremely low turnout
- Voting centers empty as citizens protest elections
- U.S. will not recognize election result
- 11 killed in prison riot
- President Maduro seizes Kellogg plant after it leaves Venezuela
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’