Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for Daily Briefings.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. U.S. President Trump withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal and ordered economic sanctions to be reimposed. France, Germany, the U.K., China, and Russia condemned the move.
2. North Korea’s Kim Jong-un pledged to dismantle a nuclear test site in a ceremony attended by foreign journalists. He will meet President Trump in Singapore on June 12.
3. A wave of Israeli strikes on suspected military positions in Syria killed 42 people, including at least 19 Iranians.
4. Mahathir Mohamad was sworn in as Malaysia’s 7th Prime Minister after a stunning election comeback, defeating the coalition that has ruled for six decades.
5. A suspected jihadist killed a pedestrian in a knife attack in the heart of Paris before he was shot dead by police.
6. Opposition leader Nikol Pashinian was chosen as Armenia‘s new Prime Minister after weeks of protests against the ruling party.
7. Italy’s anti-establishment 5-Star Movement and the far-right League reached a deal to govern the nation. The new Prime Minister should be named in a few days.
8. 26 people were killed in an attack by an unidentified “terrorist group” in rural Burundi, days before Burundians vote in a controversial referendum that could extend the president’s term.
9. At least 17 people died in an area of northwestern Democratic Republic of Congo where health officials have now confirmed an outbreak of Ebola.
10. Hezbollah and its political allies made significant gains in Lebanon’s election securing half the seats in parliament. Prime Minister Hariri is expected to remain in office.
- Suicide bombers strike in Kabul, killing 5
- Militants attack government building, 10 dead
- Taliban kill dozens of police officers in western Afghan province
- U.N. says at least 86 people killed during voter registration drive
- Taliban seize another district center
- Opposition leader Pashinian selected as new Prime Minister
- Security service, police chiefs sacked at new Prime Minister’s request
- Acting Finance Minister quits post
- Family of 7 dead with gunshot wounds in rural Australia
- 5 new Members of Parliament ousted for holding dual citizenship
- North Korean leader meets President Xi ahead of Trump summit
- Former Communist Party official sentenced to life in prison for bribery
- Government and ELN rebels renew peace talks in Havana
- Right-winger Duque holds strong lead in presidential poll
- Over 200,000 undocumented Venezuelan migrants register in Colombia
- 2 British tourists freed after being kidnapped in Congo
- Former army chief, opposition figure jailed for 20 years
- 17 deaths reporter in latest Ebola outbreak
- France condemns as “unacceptable” as U.S. move to re-impose sanctions on companies trading with Iran
- One killed in Paris knife attack by Chechen terrorist
- Labor minister summoned over PR contract
- 5 officers, 1 inmate dead in detention center riot
- Members of a family bomb 3 churches, at least 13 dead
- Top leaders, lawmakers, lash out at U.S. over nuclear deal withdrawal
- Iran condemns wave of Israeli air strikes in Syria
- E.U., Iran pledge to uphold nuclear deal without the U.S.
- Shiite cleric Sadr front-runner in partial election results
- Kurdistan region to hold elections on September 30th
- Soldier convicted of killing Palestinian is freed
- Israel kicks off U.S. Embassy celebration, boosts border force
- PM Netanyahu meets Putin amid new round of Syria talks
- Forces hit dozens of Iranian targets in Syria after barrage
- 5-Star Movement and the league talks progress, PM may be in sight
- Tribunal lifts ban on Berlusconi holding public office
- Hezbollah allies gain in Lebanon vote, underscoring Iran sway
- PM Hariri replaces chief of staff after election setback
- U.S. to keep backing Lebanese military despite Hezbollah gains
- Navy says 180 migrants rescued in Mediterranean
- 2 dead in car bombing at checkpoint near oil crescent
- Coastguards intercept more than 500 migrants
- Mahathir, 92 years old, sworn-in as Prime Minister
- Jailed politician to receive royal pardon from new Prime Minister
- PM bars predecessor from leaving country amid corruption probe
- PM Mahathir to re-define fake news law, not abolish it
- Government says time is running out for NAFTA deal
- 3 soldiers killed in gun battle in opium growing state
- Military helps rescue 1,000 Boko Haram hostages
- Nigerian Diplomat killed in Sudan
- President Buhari travels to Britain to visit doctor
- Singapore to host U.S.-North Korea summit on June 12
- Japan, China, South Korea agree to cooperate on North Korea
- Kim Jong-un vows to dismantle nuclear site in May ceremony
- Putin begins new presidential term, keeps Medvedev as Prime Minister
- Two pilots die in military helicopter crash in Syria
- Yemen’s Shiite rebels fire missiles at Riyadh
- Saud military says troops arrive in Yemen’s Socotra island
- Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 people in market near Mogadishu
- Al Shabaab kills 9 Kenyan soldiers
- Government takes over direct administration of North West province
- 1 dead as attackers slit throats of worshippers at mosque
- At least 42 killed by Israeli strikes this week
- Russia, after meeting with Netanyahu, backs off supply of missiles to Syria
- Israeli attack on Iranian military facilities in Damascus kills 15 people
- Prosecutors seek arrest of 300 military personnel
- Poll sees AK Party, allies winning parliamentary majority in June vote
United States of America
- President Trump abandons Iran nuclear deal, will revive sanctions
- President Trump says Pompeo returning from North Korea with 3 detainees
- President to held China’s ZTE ‘get back into business’
- U.S. to lift sanctions if North Korea dismantles nuclear program
- Fighter jet intercepts Russian bombers in international airspace off Alaska
- U.S. imposes fresh sanctions on Venezuela, VP Pence calls for more action
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’