Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. Some 800,000 people have been displaced and over 350 have died in the worst flooding in a century in southern India’s Kerala state, as rescuers searched for people stranded in the worst-affected areas
2. At least 43 people died in the Italian port city of Genoa when a concrete bridge collapsed.
3. Cricket star-turned-politician Imran Khan was chosen as Pakistan’s next prime minister, elected on a promise to reform a system rife with corruption and traditionally controlled by the country’s powerful landowners.
4. A suicide bomber struck a private education center in a Shiite neighborhood of Kabul killing 48 students.
5. Mali’s President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita won a second five-year term in the turbulent West African nation with more than 67 percent of the vote in a runoff election.
6. Multiple strong earthquakes killed at least a dozen people on the Indonesian islands of Lombok and Sumbawa as the region was trying to recover from a temblor earlier this month that killed hundreds of people.
7. Turkey increased tariffs on some U.S. products like cars, alcohol, and coal, highlighting the deteriorating relations with the United States.
8. Slovenia’s parliament approved Marjan Sarec, a comedian turned politician, as prime minister-designate, setting him on track to form a minority government.
9. Belarussian President Alexander Lukashenko dismissed the country’s prime minister and other top ministers, in the biggest government reshuffle since 2014.
10. At least 19 people were killed in an Islamist militant attack on a village in northeast Nigeria.
- Afghan forces free over 150 people, Taliban escape with 21 hostages
- Taliban overrun Afghan army base, kill 17 troops
- Gunmen attack intelligence service center in Kabul
- President announces Muslim Eid holiday ceasefire with Taliban
- Suicide bomber targets Shiite students in Kabul, killing 48
- Cambodia launches crackdown on Chinese prostitution rings
- Ruling party sweep seats in National Assembly
- U.S., Israeli embassies in Berlin receive letters with powder
- Hundreds of neo-nazis march in Berlin, protected by police
- Israel detains prominent Jewish American critic at airport
- Netanyahu questioned again in telecoms case
- Troops kill two on Gaza border, Jerusalem stabber shot dead
- Sentenced doubled for Israeli policeman who shot Palestinian
- U.S. National Adviser Bolton meets Netanyahu to discuss Iran
- Acting President orders overhaul of controversial police unit
- President Buhari to return from leave, allaying health fears
- At least 19 killed by Islamists in northeast Nigeria
- Palestinians wary as U.N. may not open schools in time
- Palestinians killed by Israel fire at Gaza border
- Plane skids off rainy Manila runway, rips off engine
- President Duterte could resign if Marcos Jr. becomes Vice-President
- Koreas grab spotlight at Asian games opener
- South Koreans enter North to reunited with kin split by war
- Erdogan vows U.S. boycott, but diplomats resume talks
- Turkey increases tariffs on some U.S. imports
- Court rejects U.S. pastor Brunson’s appeal for release
- Shots fired at U.S. Embassy in Turkey, but no one hurt
- One dead as police quell protest over mistreatment of lawmakers
- Police arrest three MP’s after stones thrown at Museveni’s convoy
- Pop star, government critic, faces military court
- Police treat Parliament crash as terrorism
- Labour leader under fire over Palestinian wreath laying
- Right-wing Farage vows to end Brexit ‘sell-out’
United States of America
- Mattis says U.S. will work more closely with Argentina
- Trump cancels military parade, says he will head to Paris
- Newspapers across U.S. rebuke Trump for attacks on press
- U.S. hits Chinese and Russian firms over North Korea sanctions breach
- U.S. forces to stay in Iraq “as long as needed”
- Roadside bomb in Aden targets provincial governor’s convoy
- Southern separatists attack military academy in Aden
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’