Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. A powerful earthquake on the Indonesian tourist island of Lombok killed at least 98 people.
2. Zimbabwe’s President Mnangagwa won the election with just over 50 percent of the ballots as the ruling party maintained control of the government in the first vote since the fall of longtime leader Robert Mugabe.
3. Two suicide bombers attacked a Shiite mosque in eastern Afghanistan during Friday prayers, killing at least 29 people and wounding another 81.
4. Authorities detained six people suspected of using explosives-laden drones in a failed bid to assassinate Venezuelan President Maduro.
5. China said it is poised to impose retaliatory tariffs on $60 billion worth of U.S. imports, including coffee, honey, and industrial chemicals, if Washington goes ahead with its latest trade threat.
6. A new Ebola outbreak in Congo’s North Kivu province was confirmed, infecting at least 13 people, and killing 3.
7. Tens of thousands of people gathered in Tel Aviv to protest against Israel’s new law declaring it the nation-state of the Jewish people, which has provoked outrage among the country’s most integrated minority, the Druze.
8. Mali’s presidential election will go to a runoff vote after President Keïta failed to get enough votes to win a second term outright. He will face Soumaila Cisse in the second round.
9. The Saudi-led coalition fighting Yemen’s Shiite rebels conducted airstrikes in the rebel-held port city of Hodeida, killing at least 28 people and wounding 70.
10. Thousands of angry young people took to the streets of Bangladesh’s capital Dhaka to demand safer streets, facing police firing tear gas and pro-government activists who attacked them with clubs.
- ISIS fighters surrender to Afghan forces after Taliban assault
- Suicide bomber kills 3 NATO forces
- Three employees of catering firm adbucted, killed in Kabul
- Assault on compound, roadside bomb kill 26
- Suicide bombing at mosque kills at least 29 people
- Workers Party launches jailed Lula for President
- Right-wing candidate Bolsonaro picks army general as running mate
- Lula’s party strikes pact to keep Socialists neutral in election
- China says foreigners should not interfere in Cambodia after election
- PM slams opposition vote boycott, challenges critics
- China to retaliate if U.S. takes further trade measures
- China announces $60B of U.S. goods for tariff retaliation
- State media attacks Trump on trade in unusually harsh terms
- Authorities announce 13 new Ebola cases in northeast
- Exiled opposition leader Katumbi to return home for presidential bid
- Parliament to question president over economic woes
- Government spokesman resigns amid calls for cabinet shake-up
- Iran receives more airplanes ahead of renewed U.S. sanctions
- Iran wary of Trump offer for talks, but not ruling them out
- Druze rally against new nation-state law
- Thousands march in Jerusalem Gay pride amid surrogacy uproar
- Israeli kills 7 militants in overnight strike on Syrian Golan
- PM Netanyahu cancels Colombia trip amid Gaza truce talks
- Court jails Arab poet for online incitement to terrorism
- Army clashes with ISIS militants fleeing Syrian forces
- Jordan says not yet ready to open border crossing with Syria
- Gunmen strike convoy with election materials, 12 killed in shootout
- Candidates allege poll fraud ahead of result
- Election heads to run-off between Cisse and President Keita
- U.N. says North Korea has not stopped nuclear, missile program
- Generals from rival Koreas end talks with no agreement
- Spy agencies suspect North Korea building new missiles
- Opposition to challenge Khan with own PM candidate in parliament
- Parties vow to oppose Khan, say vote was ‘rigged’
- 3 Russian journalists killed for investigating mercenaries, mining in C.A.R.
- 18 killed in Siberian oil worker helicopter crash
- Police detain around 25 gay rights activists in St. Petersburg
- Southeast Asia seek cyber security deal with Russia after series of hacks
- Russia to deploy military police on Golan Heights
- Authorities arrests two more women’s rights activists
- Saudi Arabia resumes oil shipments through Red Sea strait
- Government and rebels reach peace deal
- Suicide bomb attack kills at least 3 Somali soldiers outside Mogadishu
- U.S. military airstrikes kill 4 al-Shabab fighters
- Authorities save 223 migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean
- Socialists seen easily winning election, new poll shows
- Turkey slaps sanctions on 2 U.S. officials in retaliation
- Turkey accuses Trump of jeopardizing long-standing ties
- 9 sentenced to life over 2015 Turkish peace rally bombing
United States of America
- U.S. military in Africa says changes made to protect troops
- Trump and Italian PM Conte express alignment on immigration at WH
- Trump says he is willing to talk to Iran’s leader without preconditions
- Authorities detain 6 in failed drone attack aimed at President Maduro
- Constituent Assembly legalizes money exchanges
- Mnangagwa wins election with just over 50 percent of the vote
- Deadly riots rock Harare as vote results delayed
- Police storm opposition MDC offices, detain 16 people
- Death toll after election violence rises to 6
- Officials claim election is clean; opposition is skeptical
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’