Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter and Facebook for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to receive the “World News Recap” directly by email.
What You Need To Know:
1. President Trump announced that the United States will implement a 25% tariff on $50 billion of goods from China related to intellectual property and technology.
2. Right-wing candidate Ivan Duque won the Colombian presidential election against leftist Petro.
3. Greece and Macedonia set aside three decades of dispute as they agreed to rename Macedonia the “Republic of North Macedonia.”
4. Blasts killed at least 20 people in northeast Nigeria in the largest attack for weeks in a region blighted by Boko Haram.
5. Eight people died in a shoot-out and fire that shattered a truce struck hours earlier between Nicaraguan President Ortega and protesters.
6. A car bomb killed at least 26 people at a gathering of Taliban and Afghan armed forces in the eastern city of Nangarhar, Afghanistan.
7. Forces from an alliance of Arab states wrested control of the entrance to the airport in Yemen’s Houthi-held main port city of Hodeidah.
8. Turkish warplanes killed 35 militants from the Kurdistan Workers Party in air strikes in northern Iraq.
9. U.K. Prime Minister May defused a rebellion in parliament over her Brexit plans after having to compromise and hand lawmakers more control over Britain’s departure from the E.U.
10. China’s navy carried out drills in the South China Sea to simulate fending off an aerial attack, as the country clashes with the U.S. over responsibility in the disputed waterway.
- Blasts hit gathering of Taliban and security forces in eastern Nangarhar
- Eid car bomb claimed by ISIS kills 26
- President extends ceasefire with Taliban by 10 days
- Political prince hurt in car crash that kills wife
- U.S sanctions PM’s top bodyguard over rights abuses
- Taiwan charges pro-China party spokesman and others with breaching national security
- China holds missile drills in South China Sea amid heightened tension
- China to impose 25% tariffs on 659 U.S. goods worth $50 billion
- Authorities complain to U.S. about new de facto embassy in Taiwan
- Center-left party approves joining coalition, new government close
- New government in jeopardy over foreign minister nomination
- President Sisi pardons 3,477 prisoners ahead of Eid holiday
- Lawmakers slam President Sisi’s fiscal reforms
- Farmers suspend fuel blockades after government gesture
- Parliament approves SNCF reform bill in breakthrough for President Macron
- France asks Italy to reconsider position on migrant ship
- Police fire tear gas to protesters over Macedonia deal
- PM survives no-confidence vote in parliament
- Greece, Macedonia sign pact to change Macedonia’s name
- U.N. urges inquiry into human rights violations in Kashmir
- Gunmen kill newspaper editor, two security guards in Kashmir
- Turkish air strikes kill 35 Kurdish militants in northern Iraq
- Cleric al-Sadr joins forces with Iran-backed coalition
- Cleric al-Sadr warns of civil war
- Israel targets rights group with bill to outlaw filming of soldiers
- Rights group says Israeli lethal force in Gaza may be war crime
- Israeli forces evict settlers in West Bank land dispute case
- Italy won’t ratify E.U. free-trade deal with Canada
- Italy demands Netherlands recall NGO migrant rescue ships
- Cyber attack on campaign site triggers election nerves
- Another political murder in last week of presidential race
- Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearization
- State media says President Trump agreed to lift sanctions against North Korea
- Russia vows consequences after Norway invites more U.S. Marines
- Taxi plows into Moscow crowd injuring 8
- U.S. sanctions Russians over military, helicopter hacking
- Spain brings back free healthcare for illegal migrants
- Italy-France tensions flare as migrants head to Spain
- Minister resigns over tax fine
- New government agrees to raise pensions in life with inflation
- 3 killed as campaign visit in southeast Turkey turns into gun battle
- Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish militants in Iraq’s Quandil
- Jailed pro-Kurdish candidate in first TV appearance for 20 months
- Military destroys 12 targets in northern Iraq
- PM May wins vote in parliament on Brexit, compromises to avoid rebellion
- Scottish lawmakers walk out of parliament in Brexit row
- PM May ‘disappointed’ after colleague blocks ‘upskirting’ law
- Minister resigns, plans to rebel over parliament’s Brexit role
United States of America
- President Trump announces 25% tariff on Chinese technology
- President Trump says Kim Jong-un makes ‘unwavering commitment’ to denuclearize
- President Trump to stop ‘expensive’ provocative, South Korea war games
- Thousands hold peaceful protests against foreign investment plans
- Government to deal with extremists behind protest clashes
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’