What You Need To Know:
1. Chinese lawmakers abolish term limits paving way for President Xi Jinping to rule for life.
2. Afghan security forces and police officers suffer severe casualties as conflict with Taliban intensifies.
3. Private jet flying from U.A.E. to Turkey crashes in Iran killing all 11 on board.
4. Hundreds of journalists and opposition members jailed in Turkey as crackdown on freedom continues.
5. Syrian Government troops seize large portions of territory in the opposition held-suburb of Damascus, dividing the besieged enclave in two. Civilians casualties are severe.
6. Conservative billionaire Sebastian Piñera begins new term as President of Chile, vows to combat economic stagnation.
7. Mauritius President Gurib-Fakim to resign after being accused of using a credit card issued by an international non-governmental organization to buy clothes and jewelry.
8. U.S. President Trump accepts an invitation by North Korean leader to meet amid nuclear standoff.
9. At least 21 people hospitalized after a nerve-agent attack on former Russian spy in the United Kingdom.
10. At least 44 pro-Islamic state militants killed in clashes with Philippine soldiers.
- U.S. drone targeting Pakistani Taliban kills 21 insurgents
- Suicide bomber in Jalalabad kills senior religious official
- Suicide bomber kills 9 at police checkpoint gathering of Shiites in Kabul
- Taliban attack army outpost, kills 6 soldiers and 10 police officers
- At least 24 soldiers killed in the western province of Farah
- At least 3 people injured in knife attack in Vienna
- President fumes over police raids targeting offices of intelligence service
- Conservative Piñera begins second term as President
- Outgoing President Bachelet proposes new constitution in last days in office
- President-elect Piñera places $1.2 billion in blind trusts
- Historic vote allows President Xi to rule for life
- Hong Kong democratic opposition fail to re-gain veto power in legislature
- Authorities to shut borders ahead of legislative elections
- FARC presidential candidate steps down due to ill health
- Former Bolivian and Colombian Presidents denied entry to Cuba
- Likely next President pledges more responsive government
- Presidential election on course for December
- 2 million children at risk of starvation
- President Kabila moves to increase taxes on mining firms despite opposition
- Authorities to set legal age of sexual consent to 15 years old
- France to provide 14 million euros in aid to Lebanese army
- France signs deals worth $16 billion in India to deepen security ties
- Le Pen wants far-right party renamed “National Rally”
- Social Democrat Mass to become new Foreign Minister
- Current Foreign Minister Gabriel will not be part of next government
- Plane flying from UAE to Turkey crashes in Iran killing 11
- Court sentences woman to 2 years in jail for removing headscarf in public
- Court sentences unnamed British-Iranian to 6 years for spying
- Troops kill Palestinian man in West Bank clashes
- Another Palestinian shot and killed in the West Bank
- Prime Minister Netanyahu in emergency talks amid coalition crisis
- Prime Minister Matteo Renzi resigns as Democratic Party leader after election defeat
- African street vendor shot dead in Florence, suspect arrested
- League leader says he is only possible PM candidate for center-right
- Child dies in swine flu virus outbreak
- President Kenyatta and opposition leader Odinga promise reconciliation
- 23 migrants likely dead on trip from Libya to Italy
- Hundreds of migrants picked up by coastguards on way to Italy
- Kim Jong-un willing to hold nuclear talks with U.S.
- South Korea delegation meets Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un
- Foreign minister to visit Sweden
Papua New Guinea
- At least 44 militants killed in clash with Philippine troops
- Foreign minister slams U.N. rights chief for ‘disrespectful’ remarks about President Duterte
- At least 16 killed by lightning strike at Adventist church
- Pastors arrested for defying order to shut down
- Authorities release all 7 suspects detained over journalists murder
- Largest protests in decades ratchet up pressure on Prime Minister Fico
- Prominent South Korea politicians accused of rape resigns
- Former President Lee summoned over bribery allegations
- Virus used to attack Winter Games were forged to blame North Korea
- President declares state of emergency amid anti-Muslim violence
- Government blocks social media as anti-Muslim rioting flares
- Grenade blast kills 1 in communal violence
- Syrian troops split rebel-held enclave near Damascus
- Turkish bombardment kills 13 in Afrin
- Kurds move forces to Afrin to fend off Turkish offensive
- Aid convoy to Damascus rebel-held suburbs postpone
- Rebels in Eastern Ghouta agree to evacuate imprisoned Nusra fighters
- Warplanes destroy 18 Kurdish militant targets in Iraq
- Turkey to set up camps for 170,000 people near Syria’s Idlib
- Prime Minister renews threat against Cyprus offshore gas exploration
- Military seizes control of Jinderes town in Afrin region
- Court sentences 25 journalists to jail for links to coup plotters
- Prosecutors order 243 detained on suspected links to Gulen
The United Kingdom
- 21 people hospitalized after ex-spy poisoning, Russians suspected
- U.K. and Saudi Arabia sign deals worth more than $2 billion
The United States of America
- Gary Cohn resigns as President Trump’s top economic advisor
- Trump accepts invitation to meet North Korean leader
- U.S. and Russia trade blame as diplomats fail to meet in Africa
- State Department approves $467 million in military sales to Qatar and UAE
- Trump orders stiff trade tariffs on steel and aluminum imports
- Man takes hostages at veterans home, 3 killed
- Helicopter crash in New York City’s east river kills 2
Follow @TheZenCorner on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for Breaking News.
PS: Subscribe to the newsletter to receive it directly by email.
Help Support ‘The Zen Corner’